Sunday, February 16, 2014

Josephine Dress

Josephine Dress by nest full of eggs
 The FLIP This Pattern for the month of February is the Violette Field Threads Josephine Dress/Blouse which comes in sizes 2 - 10.

The Violette Field Threads Josephine Dress or Blouse has the following features/options:
  • dress or blouse
  • long or flutter sleeves
  • pin tucks
  • tailored collar
  • ruffle button tab or not
  • dress can have waist sash or not

Back of Josephine Dress by nest full of eggs
 I chose to sew up a dress (with all of it's bells and whistles) with long sleeves, the ruffle button tabs, and the waist sash. I even made my own bias tape out of the same fabric (bias tape is needed around the collar). My greatest challenge was matching up the 'stripes'. I wanted the floral stripes to match all the way across the front, back, and sleeves. I also wanted the button tab to be in the solid dark color and the ruffle button tabs and the waist sash to be in the vine part of the fabric. I'm super pleased with the results. I had 2 yards of this fabric and I used up almost all of it for only a size 5!

Project Details:
Pattern: Violette Field Threads Josephine Dress
Size: 5 with 1 inch added in length
Fabric: 2 yards of Alchemy Victoriana (port) cotton by Amy Butler
Notions: Seven 3/8" buttons

I'm thrilled that everything came from my stash.

Josephine Dress by nest full of eggs
 This was my first Violette Field Threads sewing pattern. A couple of things that I really liked about this pattern:
  • that for one of the rectangular pieces dimensions were given instead of a pattern piece, I have quilting rulers, so I can cut out rectangles quickly and I prefer to do it this way, plus it doesn't waste paper
  • measurements were given (for the pin tucks, buttonhole placements) instead of markings on the pattern pieces, I really prefer this, I'm a numbers person, please give me numbers and measurements, for me it's such a drag to transfer markings from the pattern pieces onto the fabric
I really liked the method that was used for making the pin tucks, I had never done it that way before and it has become my preferred method now.

Josephine Dress without waist sash by nest full of eggs
Without waist sash
Be sure to add your Josephine dress to the Flip This Pattern linky party by February 20th.