Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Library Dress

 This past week Oliver + S introduced their newest fall patterns, have you had a chance to see them all yet? If not, you must go see the introductions for the Art Museum Vest + Trousers, Library Dress, and Playtime Dress, Tunic + Leggings.
 And I have some really good news for you, they are all now available for purchase starting TODAY, both in paper or digital format.  
 I had the pleasure of sewing up all three of the Oliver + S fall 2013 sewing patterns for their fall pattern preview. I'm super excited to share with you what I have made. First up is the Library Dress (available in sizes 6M-12), a faux wrap dress with a wide waistband with piping, pleated skirt, button closure all the way down the back. Options include short or 3-quarter length sleeves with notched cuffs and with or without a collar. I consulted my daughter to see what she wanted from the choices. She picked short sleeves without the collar.
 This was the first time that I ever sewed with flat piping which turned out great, I want to challenge myself by trying new things. I chose pink for the waistband and purple for the flat piping to match and bring out the pink and purple in the largest flower in the print fabric. I'm so pleased with how it turned out, a perfect tailored fit.
 This is my favorite sewing pattern from the fall 2013 Oliver + S patterns. It is a super cute shorter (above the knee) design with fun details like the wide waistband with piping, the collar, and sweet pleats on the skirt. Next time I would like to sew one with the collar. Looking for fabric ideas for this one? How about cherry blossom print fabric, brocade, or solid color fabrics for more of a color block look.
 Project Details
Pattern: Oliver + S Library Dress (difficulty level: 2 out or 4 scissors)
Size: 5
Modifications: Short sleeves from View A and collarless from View B
Fabrics:
Main fabric: Anna Maria Horner, Hand Drawn Garden, Centerpiece Sunlight
Waistband: Pink cotton (broadcloth)
Waistband (flat) piping: Purple cotton (Kona)
Notions: 9, .5 inch white buttons
Inspiration: My inspiration came from this faux wrap dress. I really liked the large floral print with white background and the pink at the waistline.
See you soon, up next is the Playtime Dress.