Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Dorothy Junior

 {The Wizard of Oz}

I'd been wanting to sew my daughter a Dorothy costume for awhile. Having her big brother perform in the Wizard of Oz musical was the final push that forced a deadline.... I finished sewing the dress an hour & a half before we were off to see The Wizard of Oz musical. While we were there my daughter got lots of attention... people weren't expecting a little Dorothy to come see the show. Now she has a fun costume, so she can play Dorothy whenever she wants.
 I used the Simplicity 4139 pattern. If you're interested in sewing a simple Dorothy costume, try this one. I also think the All-Ages Classic Jumper (which goes up to size 5T) from One Yard Wonders book could be easily made into a Dorothy-like costume.
And here's Dorothy dressed up as the lion !

I will share that this dress wasn't the most money saving project with $16 for the materials + $6 for the pattern = $22 total... although there's some fabric scraps left, a lot of blue rick rack left, & I can reuse the sewing pattern again. The zipper was from my stash. I found it kind of ironic that it cost that much for such a simple looking dress.